Implementing a barcode inventory management system is necessary for any business looking to streamline its asset tracking and inventory control process.
Barcodes play an important role in managing your inventory by providing a quick and accurate way to track product movements throughout the logistics lifecycle.
However, in order for barcode systems to be useful, You have to pair warehouse scanning equipment with software that can effectively manage and track inventory data.
There are many different barcode inventory software platforms on the market, so it can be difficult to choose the right one for your business.
To help you make a decision, we’ve compiled a list of the six best barcode software platforms for inventory management.
We’ll also go over criteria you should look out for when shopping for barcode inventory software platforms.
Barcode software for inventory management
Read on for six of the best barcoding software platforms for managing available inventory based on factors like functionality and price.
Wasp Barcode Maker
Wasp Barcode Maker is barcode software that comes with a wide range of tools that help small to medium businesses with asset & equipment tracking and inventory control.
Features include an integrated toolbar for Microsoft Office, over a dozen linear barcodes, and 2D barcodes in the professional version.
With Wasp Barcode Maker, you can also create QR codes, track inventory levels, produce reports, and more. The software is available in both desktop and cloud-based versions. It also integrates with Trello for project management.
- You can design and print labels: You can use Wasp Barcode Maker to design and print labels with barcodes for your products.
- Works on both mobile devices and desktops: The software is available in both desktop and cloud-based versions so that you can use it on your computer or your mobile device.
- Track inventory levels: Wasp Barcode Maker also enables inventory and asset tracking, so you can reorder products when needed.
- Generate reports: The software can create reports on your barcodes so that you can accurately track, trace, and report your asset’s usage and performance.
- Limited customization options: The customization options are limited, making it difficult for users to create labels to meet specific needs.
- Price and cost management complaints: Most price issues center around Wasp Inventory software. The cloud-based and on-premise versions are pricier than others on this list. For example, the cost is $3500/year for cloud-based Wasp Inventory, and the on-premises version costs about $6500/year + a yearly 10% recurring charge.
- The interface is not user-friendly: Some users say the general interface is sort of clunky and not very intuitive.
Who it’s best for: Wasp Barcode Maker is used for small to medium organizations and large-scale enterprises in industries such as agriculture, disaster recovery, IT, government, hospitality, law enforcement, general warehousing, and retail.
Price: Wasp Barcode Maker offers lifetime licenses. The software’s standard plan is $149 per user, $495.00 per 10 users, and $199.00 per user for the Barcode Maker Pro.
Labeljoy Barcode Generator Software
Labeljoy by the eDisplay company is a web-based barcode generator software that deploys on multiple printers.
Additionally, the software features a full WYSIWYG user interface, which means the label elements will be printed on paper media exactly as they are shown on the screen.
With Labeljoy, you can make creative barcodes with your own logos, images, and text. It also has a wide range of ready-to-use label templates for batch printing, product labeling, and inventory & shipping labels.
- Easy to use: Labeljoy is very easy to use with its drag-and-drop interface and WYSIWYG preview feature.
- Flexible: The software is very flexible as it can be used for a wide range of purposes, such as creating labels, QR codes, product labeling, MRP badges, etc.
- Ready to use: Labeljoy comes with a wide range of ready-to-use label templates, which makes it very convenient for users.
- Low system requirements: The software has low system requirements, making it accessible to a larger audience.
- Limited features: The free version of Labeljoy is quite limited in terms of features, and you will need to upgrade to the paid version to get access to all the features.
- The trial version has watermarks: Labeljoy offers a free download, but the output has watermarks. You need a paid version for professional use.
Price: The three licensing plans that Labeljoy offers are Basic for $199, Full for $329, and Server for $1599.
Who it’s best for: Labeljoy is good for eCommerce and brick & mortar retailers selling a large number of products.
Another way it really shines is by providing professionals who work in the shipping or wine, or clothing industries with customized labels, barcodes, and QR codes for their products.
RFgen is a mobile data collection software that helps businesses automate their inventory tracking and order management processes.
With RFgen, workers can use handheld devices to scan barcodes and collect real-time data, which is then transmitted to a central database. This eliminates the need for manual data entry, which can be error-prone.
RFgen offers a wide range of features, such as real-time inventory and serial number tracking, order management, asset tracking, shelf life expiration, and more.
The software can also generate reports on your barcodes so that you can accurately track, trace, and report your asset’s usage and performance.
- Eliminates errors: The biggest advantage of using RFgen is greater accuracy, as it eliminates the need for outdated manual processes, which are prone to human error.
- Improves accuracy: RFgen also improves the accuracy of inventory data as it is collected in real-time.
- Screen-scraping abilities: RFgen has the ability to “screen-scrape” data from other legacy systems, which can be very helpful for businesses that are using outdated systems.
- ERP integration: RFgen integrates with a wide range of ERP systems, such as SAP, Oracle SCM Cloud, and Oracle E-Business Suite, making it very convenient for businesses.
- Expensive: With pricing starting at a $4,500, the software is likely priced out of reach for many small businesses.
- Complex: The software and interface can be quite complex to use, particularly for businesses that are not familiar with mobile data collection.
Price: $4,500 (!) one-time payment
Who it’s best for: RFgen is best suited for medium to large-scale businesses that are looking for a comprehensive solution for inventory tracking and order management.
Also, the software is designed to work with a wide range of mobile devices, computers and barcode scanners, making it a good choice for businesses that need to track inventory items across multiple locations.
HandiFox Desktop is one of the best barcode generators around, and it also controls inventory and manages sales orders. The software is designed to work with a wide range of barcode scanners and printers, making it very convenient for businesses.
HandiFox Desktop can manage all data flow processes, from fulfillment processes in the warehouse to accounting applications in the office.
For businesses, the software really excels by allowing real-time tracking & managing stock levels on your handheld, letting all financial data flow seamlessly through your warehouses to QuickBooks.
- Eliminates errors: A big advantage of using HandiFox Desktop is that it eliminates the need for manual data entry, which can be error-prone.
- Ease of use: The software is very easy to use, even for businesses just starting to use a barcode scanner or printer.
- Integration: HandiFox Desktop integrates with QuickBooks, making it very convenient for businesses.
- Customization: The software offers a wide range of customization options so businesses can tailor the software to their specific needs.
- Affordability: When it comes to HandiFox Online, this software is priced way down below its competition.
- Missing functions: Some reviewers said that the software is missing functions that can be very handy, such as importing and exporting Excel spreadsheets for purchase orders.
- Expensive: When it comes to HandiFox desktop, the software is relatively expensive.
- The entry-level tier is lackluster: The Start plan is missing many essential warehouse functions, such as picking & packing, inventory transfers, and multi-location tracking. You will likely need to upgrade to the Optima plan because of it.
Who it’s best for: HandiFox’s inventory control and sales tracking capabilities are best for manufacturing firms. Also, the software’s affordability and lot number tracking functionality make it particularly suited for small companies selling short-dated items.
Price: The HandiFox online app’s Start plan that is integrated with QuickBooks Online is $39 (billed annually). The Optima plan rated the best pick by HandiFox, is $79, while the Pro plan is $109. All versions come with free trials. HandiFox Desktop for your handheld starts at $1195 and goes up to $1695 with more advanced sales features and pick & pack capabilities.
InFlow Inventory is a comprehensive barcode inventory management software that covers all aspects of the warehouse and point-of-sale operations.
You can move your stock faster and save time with their barcode system that lets you use your smartphone or inFlow Smart Scanner. You can do anything from a quick check on stock levels to adding new products to your inventory using the software.
This software also has powerful features for managing sales orders, customers, and vendors. The software also allows you to take online orders from your B2B customers.
- Ease of use: The biggest advantage of using inFlow Inventory is that it is very easy to use.
- Affordability: You don’t need expensive equipment and software to start using inFlow Inventory.
- Integration & API: The software integrates with nearly 100 different types of popular accounting software such as Quickbooks, Xero, and Sage50.The software also has an API so businesses can customize the software to their specific needs.
- Flexibility: inFlow Inventory is very flexible and can be used for a wide range of businesses, from retail to manufacturing.
- Glitches: Reviewers on G2 say that the app sometimes glitches when they try to scan an item to pick.
- Lack of customization: Some users say you can’t edit a product type once it is created.
- Export feature could use some work: There is no way to export your forms to MS Excel or Word, according to one reviewer. Instead, you must print these forms as a PDF and later convert them if those formats are required.
Who it’s best for: InFlow Inventory works well for all sizes of businesses. However, it is best for mid to small-sized businesses that need a comprehensive IMS platform but don’t want to spend a lot of money.
The software is also suitable for businesses that require a high degree of flexibility.
Price: inFlow Inventory has four plans – Entrepreneur for $89 per month, Small Business for $219 per month, Mid-Size for $439 per month, and Enterprise for $1319 per month.
The Small Business plan lets you try out unlimited features free for 14-days.
Fishbowl Inventory is a best-in-class and powerful barcode app that is designed specifically for your business’s warehouse management and manufacturing. Its tools transform your physical inventory control processes and scale your business.
In addition to their barcoding features, customers appreciate Fishbowl’s material requirements planning (MRP) and ability to take sales trends and predict inventory requirements.
- Ease of use: The software is designed to be user-friendly, and customers say they have found it easy to use.
- Excellent training program: Reviewers say that their team was trained and up and running in a matter of hours.
- Reliability: The software is said to be very reliable, with few, if any, glitches or bugs.
- Flexible: Fishbowl is highly configurable and can be adapted to the specific needs of each business.
- Functionality: Customers say that the software has all of the features they need and then some.
- Less than stellar reports: Some customers have found the reports to be less than helpful.
- Complicated pricing structure: The pricing for Fishbowl Inventory can be complicated and depends on a number of factors, such as the number of users, whether you need a manufacturing module, and which add-ons you require.
- Expensive: Some reviewers say that Fishbowl Inventory has a high price tag.
Price: The starting price for Fishbowl software is a $4,395.00 one-time charge, but you can contact Fishbowl for more pricing details
Who it’s best for: Fishbowl is designed for small to medium size businesses, but large-scale organizations like the US Air Force and other aerospace and defense industries that use it to manufacture complex products, track valuable assets, and keep their data secure with user rights.
Integrating a barcode system with inventory management software
If you’re in the market for barcode software, you may be feeling overwhelmed by the sheer number of options available. That’s especially true if this is the first barcode implementation you’ve ever done.
How can you know which product will be the best fit for your business?
There are a few factors to consider when making your decision. First, think about the specific needs of your business.
Do you need software that is compatible with multiple operating systems? Are you looking for a cloud-based solution or something that can be installed on your company’s servers?
Once you have a good understanding of your own needs, you can start to narrow down your options.
Next, take some time to read online reviews and compare pricing structures.
Finally, we recommend reaching out to each vendor for a demo of their software. This will give you a first-hand look at how the barcode inventory management platform works. And whether it’s a good fit for your business and the level of ongoing service you can expect from a vendor.
Barcode software is essential for physical inventory management and can be used by businesses of all sizes.
Finding the right barcode software may take some time and research, but it will be worth it in the end. Be sure to consider your business’s specific needs before making a purchase.
The six barcode inventory software platforms featured in this article are all excellent choices for businesses looking to improve their warehouse management and asset tracking practices.
For more information on how SkuVault helps businesses like yours take control of their inventory (and not let their inventory control them), visit our features page.