The world of eCommerce marketing automation is incredibly vast, with dozens of vendors, thousands of automation opportunities, and nearly infinite variables.
Automation is one of the best ways to get your time back and focus on what’s most important while eliminating busy work. But where do you start?
With so many different platforms on the market, it can be hard to determine which one is right for you.
This article will outline the 21 best eCommerce marketing automation platforms and help you decide which is right for your business.
We’ll also discuss the benefits of marketing automation and how to choose the platform that best suits your business needs.
Let’s jump in!
The company behind Act-On claims that the platform was created by marketers for marketers. Act-On is popular with large companies because its marketing integrations allow them to engage with their customers more effectively.
Features like email automation, landing page optimization, and web form creation save time and improve efficiency. Easy integrations with popular eCommerce tools make it easy for users to get the most out of the software.
Why Choose Act-On?
- Open API: Act-On integrates seamlessly with popular sales and marketing tools like Zoom, GoToWebinar, and Salesforce.
- Excellent customer support: Act-On has an excellent reputation for providing timely and accurate technical assistance to customers.
Who Uses Act-On?
Act-On is marketed to companies of all sizes, but it is most commonly used by businesses that generate at least $10 million in revenue each year.
This is likely because Act-On does not offer a budget alternative for small businesses.
ActiveCampaign is a hit with small businesses because it offers email and digital marketing automation at prices that start at just $29 per month.
The more popular Enterprise package adds features like business CRM and eCommerce integration for $149 per month, which is still a pretty good deal.
Some popular eCommerce platforms will work with ActiveCampaign right out of the box, but you will have to use software like Zapier or Revenue Conduit if you want to share data with platforms like StoreEnvy or BigCartel.
Why Choose ActiveCampaign?
- Prebuilt automation recipes: ActiveCampaign has automated recipes that automatically send emails when customers abandon shopping carts or behave unexpectedly.
- API integration: ActiveCampaign has been designed to work with eCommerce platforms, including Magento, Shopify, BigCommerce, and Stripe.
Who Uses ActiveCampaign?
Most ActiveCampaign users are small or medium-sized businesses that want to enjoy the benefits of marketing automation for a modest investment. The packages on offer should satisfy the needs of businesses with 25,000 or fewer contacts to manage.
Bluecore is aimed squarely at eCommerce retailers that want to turn visitors into repeat customers. Bluecore does not offer as many integrations as some other popular sales automation solutions, but it makes up for this shortcoming with some of the most advanced predictive modeling features available.
Why Choose Bluecore?
- Predictive models: Bluecore offers retail-specific predictive modeling that allows users to create campaigns based on the likelihood to respond and take action, product affinity, lifetime value, and lifecycle stage.
- Cross-channel marketing: Bluecore users can assign multiple sales channels to each campaign.
Who Uses Bluecore?
Bluecore offers custom solutions, so you won’t find any prices listed on the company’s website. Bluecore’s client list features some of the biggest names in eCommerce, which suggests the solution is used mainly by large companies.
Bronto is backed by the software behemoth Oracle, so you know the technology under the hood is cutting edge. The platform includes several innovative features, including a cart recovery option that monitors customer activity every 30 seconds. When shopping carts are abandoned, the software initiates a customized series of messages.
A study from Baymard Institute found that shopping cart abandonment rates across all eCommerce industries landed just under 70%, so that’s a big deal.
Why Choose Bronto?
- Drag-and-drop interface: Oracle has responded to complaints about the Bronto interface by adding an intuitive drag-and-drop interface.
- Designed to improve engagement: Bronto’s tools were specifically designed to help retailers use the information they collect to improve customer engagement and build relationships.
Who Uses Bronto?
Bronto is marketed as a premium solution backed by one of the tech industry’s biggest names, so this is not an option for those in search of a deal.
This is a platform for companies that want the best and are willing to pay for it.
Cloudsponge is a cloud-based address book that allows users to import contact information from popular webmail providers like Gmail and Yahoo.
The service also includes an API that makes it easy for developers to integrate the functionality into their own applications.
Why Choose Cloudsponge?
- Address book integration: Cloudsponge makes it easy to import contact information from popular webmail providers like Gmail and Yahoo.
- API integration: Cloudsponge’s API makes it easy for developers to integrate the functionality into their own applications.
Who Uses Cloudsponge?
Cloudsponge is used by a wide range of businesses, including eCommerce retailers, publishers, and charities.
The company behind Dotdigital, which used to be called Dotmailer, has been offering email automation solutions since 1999.
Dotdigital offers campaign orchestration features to users with multiple sales channels to manage, and its segmentation options allow messages to be customized based on customer behavior or demographics.
Why Choose Dotdigital?
- Personalization tools: Dotdigital includes several personalization tools that can be used to simplify workloads and improve customer engagement.
- Easy to use: Dotdigital is one of the most powerful sales automation platforms on the market. It is also one of the easiest to use.
Who Uses Dotdigital?
Dotdigital has more than 70,000 users around the world, so it is safe to say that this platform is popular with businesses of all sizes.
No prices are listed on the Dotdigital website, so you will have to contact the company directly if you would like a quote or want to schedule a free demonstration.
Drift is a relatively new sales automation solution that offers businesses a way to start conversations with their website visitors.
Drift chat boxes can be opened with a click by visitors with questions, or they can be triggered by certain behavior. Customers can use the Drift boxes to ask questions, and retailers can use them to offer incentives.
Why Choose Drift?
- Timely messaging: Drift chat boxes appear at crucial times, which means they can be customized with coupon codes or other offers that could encourage hesitant customers to buy.
- Conversation reports: Knowing what questions customers ask before they do or don’t buy can help retailers to identify information gaps and craft more effective messages.
Who Uses Drift?
Drift was originally marketed as a business-to-business eCommerce solution, but it is now just as popular among business-to-consumer online retailers.
The website mentions a free trial version, but you will have to contact a customer service representative if you want to take advantage of the offer.
Drip is an email automation tool that was designed with online retailers in mind. It integrates with popular eCommerce tools like WooCommerce, Shopify, and Magento without bridging software, and its dynamic workflow tools allow users to map out complex automations visually.
Using Drip could not be easier. Prebuilt automations can be downloaded and shared with a single click, and reports can be generated with just a few clicks.
Why Choose Drip?
- Drag-and-drop interface: Drip’s interface has straightforward controls and drag-and-drop functionality to make getting to grip with the software a much less stressful experience.
- Marketing funnel maps: This platform can use visitor data to create marketing funnel maps that add a striking visual element to reports and meeting materials.
Who Uses Drip?
Drip is used primarily by small to medium-sized online retailers. The entry-level package is quite affordable, but it only allows 2,500 contacts to be managed.
While some sales automation solutions focus on niche features like CRM integration or conversation marketing, EngageBay strives to give eCommerce companies everything they need in one application.
The platform can automate email campaigns, manage tickets and coordinate multiple sales channels. Plus, its landing page design features include chat boxes that improve user engagement and give retailers another conversion opportunity.
Why Choose EngageBay?
- A complete solution: eCommerce companies that use EngageBay save money because the platform provides everything they need.
- Simplicity: EngageBay’s designers put a lot of effort into creating a simple interface that users can become comfortable in just a few minutes.
Who Uses EngageBay?
EngageBay is used by eCommerce companies of all sizes because it is capable and extremely affordable.
Companies that want to give this platform a test drive can opt for a free version that includes core features and can be used to manage up to 500 contacts, and those ready to make a commitment can manage unlimited contacts and enjoy every benefit EngageBay has to offer for less than $80.
HubSpot is a leader in the sales automation field because it got to the party early with a simple solution that is easy to use.
HubSpot is a complete solution that can automate email marketing campaigns, build, optimize and publish landing pages, manage blogs and create custom reports, and it is one of the few sales automation platforms that offer a lead-scoring feature.
Why Choose HubSpot?
- Full feature set: HubSpot offers a full set of sales automation, campaign management, and reporting features that give eCommerce retailers everything they need to succeed.
- Seamless integration: HubSpot is extremely popular because it integrates seamlessly with leading eCommerce tools. HubSpot engineers can also create custom integrations for a small fee.
Who Uses HubSpot?
HubSpot offers a free version with core features but limited functionality, and most HubSpot users are small or medium-sized firms that decided to invest in the platform after taking advantage of this trial offer.
Companies with tens of thousands of contacts to manage can expect to pay several hundred dollars each month to use HubSpot, but the popularity of the program suggests that this is money well spent.
Hunch is an eCommerce tool for brands and advertising agencies that combines creative image and video production with automated ad buying.
The platform is primarily used to produce visually stunning ads, place them on popular social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram and track the results.
Hunch claims that its platform saves agencies and brands valuable time and improves conversion rates by 25%.
Why Choose Hunch?
- Personalization: Personalization filters allow Hunch users to target video and photo ads based on factors including user behavior, location, language, and weather conditions.
- Ad testing: Hunch allows users to test various creative approaches to find out which message resonates best with customers.
Who Uses Hunch?
Hunch is most commonly used by advertising agencies because it can automatically create captivating content and book ads.
Companies that do not place their own ads will not be able to use all this platform’s features, but that should not put them off if a large percentage of their site traffic comes from social media.
Keap frees creative talent from repetitive tasks and automates customer tracking and lead generation.
Core Keap features include email automation, ROI tracking, landing page creation, and social media management, and eCommerce companies have several packages to choose from. The most feature-packed package, which is called Max Classic, was originally branded as InfusionSoft.
Why Choose Keap?
- Training included: Getting up to speed with keap is rarely a challenge because online training is included with every subscription.
- Flexible pricing: Keap’s subscription packages can be structured to manage a specified number of contacts, which means users only pay for the performance they need.
Who Uses Keap?
Keap is used mainly by smaller eCommerce companies that have small mailing lists to manage and want a full set of features at a reasonable price.
Kevy is one of the fastest-growing sales automation providers because it offers an abundance of personalization options, hands-free automation, and AI-generated consumer insights.
The platform offers pretty much everything that a successful eCommerce company would need, including abandoned cart campaigns, email editors, advanced reporting features, and several segmentation options.
Why Choose Kevy?
- Google Analytics integration: Kevy’s reporting features provide the last word in reliable and useable data because they integrate seamlessly with Google Analytics.
- Single-use coupons: Ecommerce retailers that wish to deliver messages to customers at precise moments can use Kevy to create single-use coupons or targeted popup ads.
Who Uses Kevy?
Kevy is used by online retailers that like to take a proactive approach with popup ads and coupons.
The platform’s pricing model is based on contacts, so it may not be attractive to large companies that manage enormous mailing lists.
Klaviyo is an automated email solution that offers advanced customization and tracking features.
The platform analyzes what website visitors do, then automatically sends them emails based on their behavior.
Klaviyo can handle in-app notification and SMS campaigns, but email marketing is its core strength.
Why Choose Klaviyo?
- Ideas section: Even the most talented creatives need inspiration sometimes, so Klaviyo includes an email ideas section to encourage outside-the-box thinking.
- Visitor tracking: Ecommerce retailers that want to know what their visitors are interested in may like Klaviyo’s landing page snippet that keeps track of what they read.
Who Uses Klaviyo?
Klaviyo is used by businesses that want results fast. The platform includes dozens of email and campaign templates that can be customized with a few clicks and sent out in minutes.
Plus, their API interface makes importing lists a snap.
Most people think MailChimp is just an email marketing app, but the platform actually offers a comprehensive range of features, including CRM integration, behavioral targeting, website design, and channel management.
Segmentation options are notably missing, but MailChimp’s Analytics360 module makes up for this oversight with sophisticated tracking tools like click maps.
Why Choose MailChimp?
- Huge support database: MailChimp is used by tens of thousands of companies worldwide, meaning there are countless blogs and vlogs dedicated to getting the most out of the platform.
- WYSIWYG email builder: Crafting emails that get results is easier with MailChimp because the workspace display shows what customers will see.
Who Uses MailChimp?
Just about any business can benefit from using MailChimp because a free version of the software is available, and paid packages start at just $11 per month.
The platform is also popular because most people working in eCommerce know how to use it.
Omnisend is a leading eCommerce solutions provider because it helps retailers to solve the problems that trouble them the most.
The platform has been developed to reduce cart abandonment and encourage consumers to leave reviews, and campaigns spanning several sales channels can be triggered by a single action.
Features that make Omnisend stand out include SMS notifications to send out special offers or shipping notices, a drag-and-drop interface, and advanced segmentation options.
Why Choose Omnisend?
- Strong segmentation: Omnisend is used by some of the biggest names in eCommerce because it has some of the most advanced segmentation options available.
- Easy to use: Intuitive features like a drag-and-drop newsletter builder make Omnisend one of the easiest sales automation platforms to use.
Who Uses Omnisend?
Omnisend is chosen by companies that have benefitted from email marketing and want to explore additional sales channels.
Omnisend give allows eCommerce companies to expand their horizons, and it provides them with a single platform to manage and run all of their campaigns.
Ortto, which used to be marketed under the brand name Autopilot, offers businesses a way to create unique customer experiences and automate sales processes.
The platform uses colorful emojis and stickers to encourage collaboration and make creating campaigns more fun, and it uses the data it collects during those campaigns to interpret customer behavior and identify opportunities.
Why Choose Ortto
- Customer journey builder: Ortto’s intuitive controls allow users to visualize and develop unique customer journeys.
- Personalization features: Ortto allows users to filter their messaging based on demographics or behavior for personalized customer experiences.
Who Uses Ortto?
Ortto has earned a reputation for being very easy to use, so it is used by companies looking for a straightforward solution that delivers results quickly.
Rejoiner offers a solution that caters to eCommerce companies that want to leave campaign design, strategy, and management to experts.
Also, Rejoiner has managed thousands of campaigns, and they use highly targeted segmentation and personalization to maximize conversions and revenue per customer.
Why Choose Rejoiner?
- Audience evaluation: Rejoiner scrutinizes email lists to identify the most engaged subscribers. This information is then used to create persuasive emails and interesting newsletter content.
- Data consolidation: Rejoiner takes the data gathered from eCommerce websites and merges it with email engagement information to create a detailed profile for each subscriber.
Who Uses Rejoiner?
Rejoiner is an attractive option for companies that need a little help with some of the more creative aspects of eCommerce marketing.
This platform is often sought out by businesses in competitive industries who want to add a little bite to their messaging.
Sender is a relatively new sales automation solution that has already attracted a loyal following.
A free templates gallery and drop-and-drag interface take the hassle out of creating beautiful newsletters, and the emails Sender generates will render perfectly on any type of device.
The platform also features an HTML editor for users who would prefer to code custom emails.
Why Choose Sender?
- Easy newsletter creation: When Sender users paste a product URL into a newsletter, its description, price, and images are inserted automatically.
- Drip automation: In addition to sending the same email to an entire list, Sender contacts individual customers automatically when they abandon shopping carts or celebrate birthdays.
Who Uses Sender?
Sender is used by companies that want to send newsletters and targeted emails and would like to try before they buy.
The free package does not come with a time limit attached, and it allows users to manage up to 2,500 contacts and send out up to 15,000 emails each month.
Sendinblue is marketed as a simple solution for new and growing eCommerce companies, but that does not mean this platform lacks an attractive list of features.
Sendinblue users can use the app to manage SMS and social media campaigns, and the platform also offers live chat and CMS integration.
Why Choose Sendinblue?
- Creative toolbox: Visual elements can transform marketing materials, so Sendinblue includes a toolbox of templates, themes, and styles.
- A/B testing: Businesses that wish to test the water before committing large sums to a campaign can use Sendinblue’s A/B testing feature to compare the effectiveness of different strategies.
Who Uses Sendinblue?
Sendinblue is a good choice for companies that want to use a straightforward interface to send out engaging and effective emails.
The free plan is attractive because it does not cap the number of contacts that can be managed, but companies that take this option can only send 300 emails each day.
SharpSpring allows eCommerce companies to manage their sales funnels from a single platform.
This solution costs significantly more than many alternatives, but every package is full of features and includes a dedicated onboarding specialist. SharpSpring integrates with more than 700 eCommerce and CRM tools, and advanced tracking tools make sure that no leads go to waste.
Why Choose SharpSpring?
- Visual workflow builder: SharpSpring includes a visual workflow builder that uses branching logic to identify prospects that are ready to buy. The platform also provides a daily list of hot leads.
- Visitor ID: SharpSpring claims that its VisitorID system can identify twice as many website visitors as the technology used by other platforms.
Who Uses SharpSpring?
SharpSpring is great for smaller eCommerce retailers that like to use advanced analytics to keep their mailing lists manageable. Plans that meet the needs of advertising agencies are also available.
What is eCommerce Marketing Automation?
eCommerce marketing automation is the use of software to automate eCommerce marketing tasks.
These software platforms can include anything from sending out automated abandoned cart emails to segmenting your customer list and sending targeted messages based on their behavior.
Marketing automation software is designed to make your life as a marketer easier by automating repetitive tasks, such as email marketing, social media posting, and targeted ads.
With marketing automation, you can set up complex workflows that are triggered by specific events, such as a customer subscribing to your email list or abandoning their shopping cart.
This allows you to take a hands-off approach to your marketing and let the software do the work for you.
Features to Compare in Marketing Automation Software
It’s important to choose a marketing automation platform that has all the features you need to run your eCommerce business. Here are some of the most important features to look for:
- Abandoned cart emails: These are automated emails that are sent to customers who have abandoned their shopping carts. They typically include a discount code or other incentive to encourage the customer to complete their purchase.
- Welcome emails: Welcome emails are sent to customers after they subscribe to your email list or make their first purchase. They can include a discount code, coupon, or other incentives to encourage customers to keep shopping with you.
- Lead capture forms: Lead capture forms are used to collect information about your website visitors, such as their names, email addresses, and contact information. This information can be used to create targeted marketing campaigns.
- List segmentation: List segmentation allows you to segment your customer list into different groups based on criteria such as purchase history, location, or email engagement. This allows you to send more targeted messages that are relevant to each customer’s interests.
- Reporting and analytics: Reporting and analytics tools give you insights into your marketing campaigns, such as how many people opened your emails or clicked on your links. This information can help you optimize your campaigns for better results.
- Integrations: It’s important to choose a marketing automation platform that integrates with the other software you use, such as your eCommerce platform, CRM, and email marketing service. This will allow you to automate your marketing tasks and save time.
- Pricing: It’s important to choose a platform that fits your budget and has the features you need. The cost of marketing automation software can range from $0 to $1,000+ per month. However, spending around $35 to $250 should be enough to get started and make a difference.
- Functionality: The best marketing automation platforms have a wide range of features, such as abandoned cart emails, welcome emails, lead capture forms, list segmentation, reporting and analytics, and integrations.
- Customer support: It’s important to choose a platform that has good customer support in case you have any questions or need help using the software.
- Ease-of-use: The best marketing automation platforms are easy to use, even if you’re not tech-savvy. They should have a user-friendly interface and step-by-step instructions on how to use the features.
What are the Advantages of Adopting Marketing Automation Software for Ecommerce?
There are many advantages of using marketing automation software for eCommerce, such as:
- Better customer insights: Marketing automation software gives insights into your customers’ behavior, such as what they click on and purchase. This information can help you create more targeted marketing campaigns.
- Increased average order value (AOV): Marketing automation can help you increase your AOV by sending targeted messages to customers based on their purchase history.
- Reduced human error: Automating your marketing tasks can help you reduce human error, such as forgetting to send an email or sending the wrong message to the wrong customer.
- Save time and increase efficiency: Automating your marketing tasks can save you a lot of time and increase your efficiency. You can use this time to focus on other aspects of your business.
How to choose the Right Ecommerce Marketing Automation for You
Now that you know the basics of marketing automation software, it’s time to choose the right platform for you. Here are some tips:
- Do an initial search for software and reviews: The first step is to do a general search for marketing automation platforms and read online reviews. This will give you an idea of the different features each platform offers and what other people are saying about them.
- Determine your business needs: Next, you need to determine your business needs. Ask yourself what features you need and what your budget is. This will help you narrow down your choices.
- Book a demo and try the software: Book a demo with each platform once you’ve narrowed down your choices. This will give you a chance to see how the software works and if it’s a good fit for your business.
eCommerce automation is one of the best ways to let software do the heavy lifting of building your audience. The goal of automating the tedious yet necessary tasks in digital marketing is to free you up to work more effectively on growing your business.
For more advice on growing and marketing your eCommerce business, subscribe to our blog or check out these related posts: